Friday, April 30, 2010

Describe a pretentious act or behavior of someone. What sort of things constitute pretentiousness(open rant)?

I've always heard the word ';pretentious'; used very vaguely. I know how to use it from both conversation and definition. I've always had trouble recognizing pretentiousness or being able to apply the word because of the fact that it is so circumstantial. I would love to hear your experiences and examples. Maybe a list of behaviour or instances that could scream ';pretentious';.Describe a pretentious act or behavior of someone. What sort of things constitute pretentiousness(open rant)?
portraying yourself to be someone you are not.


lying to yourself and making yourself vulnerable while implicating innocent people.Describe a pretentious act or behavior of someone. What sort of things constitute pretentiousness(open rant)?
Someone who talks down to others or negatively about others in a 'condescending' way.. On top of that, they make snide remarks.





That's how I read into pretentiousness.. it's this feeling I get, I guess one can call it a hunch, combined with observing how the other person acts.





In other words, someone who either steps on others to get what they want (they let it be known by their subtle behavior), and/or acts outwardly 'stuck-up.'
My mom and I were in line waiting at the deli counter of a nearby ';ritzier'; supermarket. This woman just walks up and starts placing her order in front of us - like the whole world can wait for her - that is pretentious.





Again, at the same supermarket, these younger women (probably around 16) - had super expensive clothes, eyeglasses, purses - realized they weren't really in a line and just stepped in front of me and my roommate - giggling and just not thinking about people that were in the correct line. They all checked out separately! That was pretentious to me also.





Someone that flashes money in front of someone else without regard for the financial woes of the other person - for example, I am part of a perfume oil community and this one girl was stating how she had about 13 bottles of a discontinued perfume from that company (each worth about $100 on ebay by the way!) - and all these people are searching for it and there is no way she can use all that perfume in her lifetime - but she just threw the comments out there like it was nothing without regard to how that would make others feel. That was pretentious to me also.





I'm ranting in your rant! Hee - I'm done :)
';Pretty people'; (read: clueless yuppies) carrying on so about their love for $tarbucks, when in fact they wouldn't know a fresh cup of real coffee if someone strapped them down and poured it, scalding hot, down their worthless gullets.





Well, that, and beemer owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment